Greens are the food most commonly missing in the American diet. As a Health and Wellness Coach, I often work with clients on adding more green foods into their diets. (no … not green M&Ms;!)
At first, this can cause some overwhelm on behalf of the client who may be unfamiliar with the many green vegetables available out there and also may not be a whiz in the kitchen. But even the most clueless cook can make delicious green vegetables using this simple rule of thumb: Keep it simple!
In my experience, we (myself included) think these things have to be complicated which creates fear and paralysis and ultimately can hold us back from doing something wonderful for ourselves and our health.
So, the next time you’re faced with a a green veggie dilemma and you’re unsure how to prepare it, be it kale, collards or the like try this no-fail “recipe”.
Simple Steamed Greens
1. Wash and chop the greens and place in a steam basket
2. Boil a pot of water and place the steam basket on top
3. Cover and cook for a couple of minutes until the vegetable is bright green (be careful not to overcook).
4. Remove from heat and place in a serving bowl.
5. Drizzle a teaspoon or two of high quality extra virgin olive oil on top.
6. Finish with a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper.
That’s it! Now spend the time you saved on some self care!