Whoa! Everyone really really loved my whole grains meal prep guide so I’m sharing more meal prep secrets and since it’s root vegetable season, let’s move on to roasted beets.
I noticed a lot of people don’t prepare beets simply because it seems complicated (and messy). Well, guess what? It’s not! Beets are SO good for you and are great natural detoxifiers.
Here’s a quick little guide to roasting beets like a pro:
1. Heat oven to 425.
2. Scrub 3-4 beets (any color), remove the leaves (save these to sautee or juice) and any knobby parts.
3. Lay out a rectangle of foil (one for each beet).
4. On top of the foil, lay a rectangle of parchment paper (one for each beet)
5. Set each beet on top of the parchment paper and drizzle with olive oil.
6. Optionally, include a clove of garlic (un-peeled) with each beet.
7. Wrap the beet and garlic clove in the foil/parchment.
8. Bake for 1 hour or until fork-tender. The tops may get a little charred as per the picture, that’s ok!
9. Remove from the oven and let cool.
10. Pop the garlic cloves out of their skins and peel the beets. Tip: The best way to peel the beets is to rub the skins off with a paper towel.
I do this on a Sunday and have beets around to use for a few days. Mostly, I slice or chop them up to add to salads or re-heat and eat as a side dish. You can also blend them with the roasted garlic for soup. Store the beets in an air-tight container for up to three days.
The holidays are right around the corner. Looking for an easy way to stay on track and keep that overindulging in check? Try my Total Reset Plan or Real Food Reboot! They’re not just affordable, they actually work! No juice cleanse required.